Kevin Mercuri Guest Speaker at Career Forum
At yesterday’s Career Forum hosted by NYU PRSSA and PRSA NY, guest speaker Kevin Mercuri kicked off the event with some wonderful words of wisdom to aspiring PR professionals. With twenty years of PR experience under his belt, and as the President and Founder of Propheta Communications, Kevin highlighted key aspects of making it in the business:
- “Once you’re out of college you’re a brand.” You must continue to manage yourself as a brand and be in touch with your inner type A.
- Use social media to your advantage. Clean it up and make sure you are up to date on all your channels.
- Follow influencers and professionals on Twitter. Reach out to them and get on their radar early!
- Do your homework; read trade publications and stay on top of the buzz.
- Treat your internship as a full-time job. Take advantage of the resources you are given and make a lasting impression.
- “Polite persistence pays a premium.” Always follow up, send a note to a colleague, tweet out to a professional, and be persistent when networking.
- When it comes to networking events: leave your friends behind. The morning events are more business oriented, so be sure to go to those as well. When you’re there, work the room and ask good questions.
Kevin ended his speech with some lasting remarks. He pointed out to know the trends and able to look ahead. It’s always helpful to know the agencies and the work they do, be able to handle stress, and have that aggressive edge that companies look for in an intern and full-time employee.
Thanks very much Kevin!
NYU PRSSA VP of Communications